Thursday, June 30, 2011

Long Live Librarians!

This week I visited Wiley Park Public School as a Role Model for the Books In Homes Project. The Project's aim is to improve literacy by providing disadvantaged children with books they can take home to share with their families - and I'm honoured to play a small part.

I sat in the comfy rocking chair usually reserved for lovely Librarian, Gillian Maugle, and spoke to 70 very eager Year 2 children. What struck me most about these kids was that they already had a love of books...and I have no doubt that their Librarian had at least a little to do with that. The experience verified something I already knew. Schools need Librarians - as much as they need Libraries. Because a Library without one is like a deep, dark cave. It takes a Librarian to shed light on the gems hidden within its walls.

No comments: